Welcome to St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Mattapoisett, MA
St. Philip’s was designed by J.S. Hammond of Mattapoisett and built in 1884. Services prior to that time had been held in the Congregational Church. The chancel window, installed in 1969, depicts St. Philip, a fisherman and carpenter by trade, with his fishing basket and carpenter’s tools. Around him are shown three fish native to Buzzards Bay: a scup, a striped bass and a bluefish. Notice also the catboat, compass rose, Seal of the Church, Great Seal of the Town of Mattapoisett and the whale -- a reminder of Mattapoisett's early connection with the whaling industry. St Philip's holds services from late June to early September.
Jeffrey Cave's 125th Anniversary story of St. Philip's Church in Mattapoisett. Details influences in it's creation, personalities, lore and events through the years. Includes 128 pages with delightful images and symbols.
St. Philip's Episcopal Church
34 Water Street
Mattapoisett, MA 02739